I could tell you about them in great detail, but I'll limit it to one sentence each.
1. While Christian fiction isn't always something I can easily stomach, there is something to be said for the hope and encouragement I get from reading about someone else's faith.
2. This may be the first non-fiction book I've ever read for fun, and it was kind of extreme, but offered me reasons, examples, and insight to the political perspectives I already have.
3. In four years of German I have learned more about Hitler than the average person. This book, however, offers the first Christian-perspective of a Holocaust survivor I've ever come across.
I won't offer any synopsis, opinion, or review of these, but I will offer the suggestion that you read them.
This last book was a wedding gift to me from Babette Stevens, a woman from my church in Woodstock. This is in the running, along with the kitchen trash can, for the most-used wedding gift. This book offers a prayer a day for my husband. The first of each month being for myself. I just started my 5th or 6th time through. It covers topics from health and finances to sexuality and emotions. We don't seem to be in desperate need of any of these prayers yet, but preventative prayer is the best kind, right?
I've also started writing, just reflections on the books I read, but ever-so-slightly I'm writing more and more. Reading and writing on my days off give me much more satisfaction, reflection, and quiet time than sitting in front of the television or shopping, and there's not a cheaper form of entertainment out there. Come December 31, I will have read through the Bible in a year, first time! Come January 1, John and I are going to start reading the Bible together in a year! I've grown up in Sunday school and church, but I still feel like my grasp on the Bible is soooo small. John's understanding seems so much deeper than mine. I can't wait!






No comments:
Post a Comment